Want to go home from work knowing that you are making the world a better place? Browse our open positions to see if you might become part of our team that is saving lives everyday.
About Women Aware
Women Aware is the designated domestic violence service agency for Middlesex County NJ. We provide emergency services and case management for victims of abuse, including a 24-hour hotline, safe house, legal advocacy and counseling. All services are provided free of charge to our clients and supported by charitable donations.
This job description is a broad outline of the responsibilities and duties of the Community Outreach Specialist and will be amended as needed to meet the program priorities of Women Aware, Inc. and its ensuing work requirements. It should not be construed as a contract and does not create a contract of employment. Employment with the Agency is at-will.
Job title: Community Outreach Specialist
Reports to: Director of Development
- Proficiency in Office, graphic editing programs and social media outlets;
- Strong communication skills with ability to present information to diverse groups;
- Availability to work nights/weekends and valid driver’s license required;
In collaboration with the Director of Development, carries the responsibility of managing communications and outreach efforts for Women Aware’s programs using both in-person and online approaches. This includes but is not limited to the following:
- community education and outreach on domestic violence services and prevention;
- marketing and communication activities;
- outreach and enrollment strategies;
- fundraising, special event planning and execution;
- Write, design, and manage the production and distribution of visually appealing marketing materials (i.e. brochures, e-newsletters, development solicitation, event materials, info graphics), media press releases, and other communications/marketing materials; manage implementation of marketing and communications timeline and calendar.
- Oversee and execute an effective social media strategy, including the development and execution of a social media calendar and posting schedule.
- Maintain and cultivate collaborative relationships with community organizations and partners by delivering content, stories, information and brand message through face to face meetings and community presentations, and track these relationships in a database;
- Organize, attend, and participate in special events to drive community support and engagement;
- Develop, implement and manage innovative ideas to drive outreach and enrollment;
- Facilitate a “40-hour domestic violence training” for volunteers annually;
- Assist in the development and implementation of bench marking and tracking to gauge the effectiveness of marketing strategies, programs and key initiatives;
- Other duties as assigned
Women Aware, Inc. is the lead agency for victims of domestic violence in Middlesex County. Women Aware’s mission is to end domestic violence in the lives of men, women and children and to change societal attitudes and institutions that promote and condone violence, through public policy advocacy, education, and programs and services that promote lives free of abuse.
- Minimum of five years of development and fundraising experience, MA preferred.
- Previous work with donor cultivation, fundraising, public relations, marketing, communications, funders/grants and database management experience is preferred.
- Must be organized, self-directed, creative and able to multi-task projects simultaneously. Must be able to work effectively with a team.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, analytical and written communication skills.
- Some evenings and weekends required.
In collaboration with the CEO, carries the responsibility for directly supervising the Development Department. This includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Responsible for the management of the Development Office, which includes all aspects of fundraising from private sources (corporate, foundations, organizations), donor cultivation and stewardship, communications, marketing and public relations.
- Ensure grant oversight and compliance.
- Supervision of community education and outreach activities
- Responsible for communications and marketing
- Develop comprehensive, integrated advancement plan for Women Aware, Inc. in collaboration with the CEO, including quantitative and qualitative goals and objectives, strategies and tactics, timeline and budget. Development focused strategies serve to: a) strengthen, sustain and expand existing programs, b) establish new initiatives and achieve sustainable growth and/or replacement of existing sources of funding.
- Public Relations and Cultivation of Donors – Manage integrated, multi-channel direct marketing program in conjunction with the CEO; develop programs that foster donor acquisition and retention. Develop and steward relationships with past (lapsed), present and potential donors. Be a liaison with donors and the board and/or agency programs. Identify and encourage important relationships between trustees, staff and community members. Maintain prospecting, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding lists and review and evaluate for intended purposes. Direct the identification, research, cultivation and solicitation of major gift prospects. Begin developing Planned Giving strategies for future prospecting.
- Communications – Develop and implement an integrated, strategic communications plan to advance the Women Aware brand; responsible for media relations; manage PR and development/fundraising material on the website; and manage the development, production, and distribution of print and electronic communications that engage clients, funders and the community. Distribute and track broadcast email, publications and collateral materials. Coordinate design, production and distribution of the annual report. Develop, maintain and produce analytical reports on communications program. With support of Admin, oversee correspondence to donors, community organizations, corporations, funders, interested groups and individuals for development and public relations projects.
- Development Operations – Ensure the use of effective and efficient business processes and best practices; establish policies and procedures for inputting, training and maintaining the database. Maintain donor database, including integrity of data input and output. Ensure timely and accurate donor acknowledgement. Manage integration between donor database and website donations. Provide technical support for appeals including mailing lists and segmented merges. Maintain digital and hard-copy records.
- Develop and Coordinate Special Events – Plan and manage strategic development events that build awareness of Women Aware, engage the community and cultivate prospective funders. Coordinate all fundraising events with the cooperation/support of community volunteers, trustees, Fundraising Chair, committee members and staff. Manage income and expense budget for each event.
- Constituent Relations – Conduct community outreach that educates the public about domestic violence and serves to increase awareness of Women Aware. Interface with community members and groups interested in supporting Women Aware. Respond timely and support follow-up communication with community organizations, corporations, civic clubs, scouts, families and individuals who are interested in fundraising for Women Aware. Represent Women Aware at community events or send a representative. Recruit and manage volunteers who assist with development and public relations activities.
- Procurement of Funds – Assist Grants Coordinator seeking private fund opportunities through foundations, corporations, organizations and community relationships that have been built with Women Aware. In cooperation with the Grants Coordinator, and as necessary, develop and review proposals for funding for projects and operations. Meet with potential funders and grant/fund advisors as agreed upon with the Grants Coordinator and/or CEO. Assist Grants Coordinator and Chief Operating Officer (COO) with government grants as necessary.
- Administration – Compile monthly, quarterly and annual narrative and statistical reports as required. With the support of Admin, oversee and coordinate the ‘thank you letter’ process for all donations and events; draft annual report; maintain database/mailing list and information on organizations, funders, donors etc. and maintain hours of volunteers participating in development activities. Supervise and evaluate staff, students/interns and volunteers assigned to you or projects under your direction. Attend board, committee and staff meetings and supervision as requested. Monitor development department expenses.
- Training – Participate in NJ Association of Fundraising Professionals organization and other related organizations that enhance development strategies. Participate in skill-building trainings related to development, public relations/marketing and domestic violence. Meet with development consultant as scheduled.
Salary: $70 – $80,000 and benefits, based on experience
Please send cover letter and resume to:
This job description is a broad outline of the responsibilities and duties of the Residential Support Worker and will be amended, as needed, to meet the program priorities of Women Aware, Inc. and their ensuing work requirements. It should not be construed as a contract, and does not create a contract of employment. Employment with the Agency is at-will.
Reports to: Coordinator of Residential Services
- High school Diploma
- Bilingual Spanish preferred
- Full time
In collaboration with the Coordinator of Residential Services, carries the following responsibilities:
- Provide a safe, non-judgmental, and empowering environment to clients and staff.
- Ensure that all Women Aware facilities, grounds and vehicles are properly maintained and clean at all times and that all building code requirements and regulations are met.
- Support Direct Service Staff
- Responsible for cleaning of rooms and common spaces of residential facilities.
- Responsible for menu preparation. Purchase of sufficient, varied and healthy food and cleaning supplies for residential clients. Place food orders, schedule food pick-ups and keep track of receipts.
- Provide client transportation on an as-needed basis.
- Responsible for completing monthly fire drills and ensuring records are kept up to date.
- Ensure that Agency grounds are kept clean and safe in accordance with facility sanitation standards.
- Participate in weekly client in-house meetings, staff meetings, supervision, and trainings as directed.
- As needed answer the 24-hour domestic violence hotline and properly provide crisis counseling, information/referrals, and shelter screening.
- Responsible for orienting Safe House and PSH residents to facility.
- May be required to cover case worker shifts due to emergency, inclement weather, or staff absentees. May be required to work various shifts and weekends as needed and directed by the by Coordinator of Residential Services.
- Responsible for weekly meetings with PSH program.
- Other duties as assigned
Per Diem Caseworkers needed to provide case management and crisis intervention services to victims of domestic violence in a residential facility on a per diem basis. Availability to work holidays, weekends (mornings or evenings) and overnight shifts. Bachelor’s degree preferred, domestic violence experience and proficient in Spanish a plus.
Job responsibilities include:
- Answering the 24-hour domestic violence hotline.
- Orienting residents to communal living in our residential facility.
- Providing ongoing information and advocacy to assigned clients during their stay.
- Supporting residents in achieving their goals in accordance with program guidelines and agency policy.
- Providing client transportation on an as-needed basis.
To apply for a volunteer position, please fill out the volunteer application on our website at womenaware.net/get-involved/volunteer.